Find out more about our Work in Custody
Tel: 01233 224244
CXK provides an informal education and youth engagement service to young people in HMYOI Cookham Wood.
By developing positive relationships and safe environments in which the young people can be challenged, they are supported to engage in interventions to develop their skills, knowledge and awareness, and raise their aspirations.
Through the delivery of a range of life skills services, the young people are able to gain confidence, information, understanding and transferable skills which will help them move forwards positively with their lives upon their release.
The service includes:
- Group sessions, empowering the young people to make informed and positive choices, and to work together
- The development and delivery of a Youth Club, involving topical issue-based activities, teamwork session, peer support projects and social action.
- 1:1 support and mentoring for careers advice and interview practice, action planning, building confidence and a support network.
- An enrichment service, supporting young people and Prison Officers working together.
- Supporting the Youth Council to facilitate meaningful discussions and for YP to raise issues and inform staff at Cookham Wood.
- Specialist work with young people struggling to engage within the establishment.
- Innovative sessions with volunteer speakers/visitors, creating opportunities to find out about jobs, careers and backgrounds of individuals outside of the prison environment
- Improved skills and knowledge for young people
- Support re-settlement of young people post release
- Create positive relationships across the establishment